R obert Candlish moved to Rosendale in the spring of 1892. He had been living in the Town of Black Wolf, just south of Oshkosh, where he was employed as a superintendent at the Oshkosh Furniture Company, later re-named Buckstaff Company.
It was in Rosendale that he established his undertaking business. Since he was a skilled cabinetmaker, it was logical to open a furniture store, and he also operated the village hotel, together with a livery stable. In addition, he was a skilled cheese and butter maker. His butter won third place at the world's Columbian Exposition of 1893 in Chicago.
In 1899, Robert's oldest son, William, went into business with his father, and in 1904, they decided to move to Fond du Lac, locating their funeral business at 160 S. Main Street. In 1909, they moved their business to 147 S. Main Street, where the firm remained for the next 31 years. Robert died tragically in 1923 from injuries he sustained from a car which struck him as he was crossing a street in Chicago.
In 1940, his sons Frank and William had constructed Fond du Lac's first dedicated mortuary facility at 31 E. Division Street, in Georgian architechtural style, naming it the Candlish Funeral Chapel.
In 1937, William's son, David, joined the firm. In 1944, Frank's daughter, Carol, became associated with the business and a year later, his son, Robert C., joined the staff. In 1948, William retired and Frank formed a corporation with his two children, Carol and Robert.